Carers Week 2018 events round up
Local events confirmed so far include:
All week offers:
- Hailsham Freedom Leisure Centre, BN27 1BA: Throughout Carers Week 11th-17th June, carers can go bowling either with their person they care for, or colleagues or even by themselves – completely for free! (Please provide proof of caring role, and note advance booking is not possible with this offer).
- Towner Gallery, Eastbourne: Towner is offering a free hot drink in its gallery café throughout Carers Week, on production of a carers card. Great views over Eastbourne! See below for its creative workshop.
- Fuss Free Phones special phone offer all week: As a member of the scheme, Fuss Free Phones is supporting Carers Week by offering a special deal from 11-17th June of a TTFone 850 handset for £30 with 1 month service for free (usually £25). Fuss Free Phones offers users an option to press a button on the back of your phone to access 24/7 telephonist support. They can patch you through to your contacts, send texts on your behalf and read them out, and look up information on the internet. Contact 0800 845 6600 for more information and mention the Carers Card Carers Week offer.
Monday 11 June
- Woodlands Centre For Acute Care, The Ridge, Hastings, TN37 7PT: Cake sale from 2pm (raising money to improve its family rooms)
- Dept. of Psychiatry, Kings Drive, Eastbourne BN21 2UD: ICE Project will be available from 10-1pm to answer any questions you have about caring for someone with mental health problems.
- : New group for unpaid carers starts today. Just drop in anytime between 1.30pm – 3.30pm at Forest Row Community Centre, Hartfield Road, Forest Row, RH18 5DZ.
Tuesday 12 June
- Eastbourne District General Hospital: , 9.30am – 12pm
- Sainsbury’s, St.Leonards-on-Sea: Meet staff from Association of Carers, 10am – 4pm
- *** POSTPONED Cross in Hand: Carers creative reflection retreat run by Care for the Carers. for more information.***
- The British Queen, Willingdon, BN20 9PG: Become a Friend Against Scams! Willingdon awareness session co-hosted by Care for the Carers at 10am – 12pm.
- Right at Home free training courses, Eastbourne: Take part in a free training course during Carers Week. Moving and Handling: 10am – 2pm and Medication 2.30pm – 5.30pm. At Suite 17, Charter House, Courtlands Road, Eastbourne BN22 8UY. To sign up contact 01323 414 658 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (2 carers spaces available on each course).
Wednesday 13 June
- Woodlands Centre For Acute Care, The Ridge, Hastings, TN37 7PT: Carers afternoon, tea and cake in Day treatment room, 1-4pm
- Meridian Centre, Peacehaven, BN10 8BL: Ice Project & Care for the Carers host a pop-up event for anyone supporting someone with a mental health issue. Come along for a chat, information and advice from 9am – 12noon.
- STAR, 13 Wellington Place, Hastings, TN34 1NY: Meet East Sussex Family and Carers Team (ESFACT, part of Cranstoun), East Sussex Young Carers and East Sussex County Council Adult Social Care Substance Misuse Service (SMS) at their stand at STAR in Hastings to share information on the services they offer to carers and family members of individuals with difficulties with mental health and substance misuse. 10am – 4pm.
- Right at Home free training courses, Eastbourne: Take part in a free training course during Carers Week. Basic First Aid: 10am – 1pm at Suite 17, Charter House, Courtlands Road, Eastbourne BN22 8UY.
To sign up contact 01323 414 658 or email email@example.com (2 carers spaces available).
Thursday 14 June
- Outside River Island shop, Eastbourne Arndale Centre: Meet Care for the Carers and partners including ICE Project and Sussex Community Development Association, East Sussex Young Carers: 9.30am – 4.30pm
- Also at Eastbourne Arndale Centre: Meet Cranstoun (East Sussex Families And Carers Team)
- Towner Gallery, Eastbourne (pictured, right): Artist-in-residence Jenny Arran will lead a free introduction to exhibitions and a creative workshop for carers on Thursday 14 June from 2pm – 4pm. Book your place at the workshop.
- Rye Market: Care for the Carers information stand, all day from 8am
- Uckfield Library: Meet staff from Care for the Carers, 10am – 4.30pm
- Woodlands Centre For Acute Care, The Ridge, Hastings, TN37 7PT: Carers afternoon, tea and cake in St Anne’s Day treatment room, 1-4pm. Raffle in Urgent Care lounge at 4pm
- STAR, 6 St. Leonards Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3UH: Meet East Sussex Family and Carers Team (ESFACT, part of Cranstoun), East Sussex Young Carers and East Sussex County Council Adult Social Care Substance Misuse Service (SMS) at their stand at STAR in Eastbourne to share information on the services they offer to carers and family members of individuals with difficulties with mental health and substance misuse. 10am – 4pm.
- Hillcrest Community Centre, Newhaven, Bay Vue Road, BN9 9LH: Drop in for an informal chat with other carers and a representative from Care for the Carers at the regular carers information and advice group in Newhaven, which this month takes place during Carers Week. 10am – 12pm.
Friday 15 June
- Isabel Blackman Centre, Hastings: Isabel Blackman centre on Winding Street in Hastings and Care for the Carers host a Free Carers Fun and Information Day, with the opportunity to ride in a vintage bus, 10am – 3.30pm. Booking is required for: bus ride, lunch and if you require respite for cared for person. Book via Carleton Astley on 01424 446428 or email Carleton for more info.
- Newhaven Sainsbury’s: Meet staff from Association of Carers and ICE Project, 10am – 2pm
- Pampering Open House, Polegate: From 11am to 3pm & from 6pm to 8pm at 8 Walnut Walk, Polegate BN26 5AD. Enjoy a cuppa, cake and chatter. You can also try a mini relaxing treatment from Hazel Curtis Holistic Therapy, suggested donation with raffle entry £5, to include refreshments and entry to Fundraising Draw in aid of Care for the Carers.
- Brede Farmers’ Market: Meet Care for the Carers at our information stand between 10am-1pm.
- Woodlands Centre For Acute Care, The Ridge, Hastings, TN37 7PT: Picnic in the Garden, Bramble Lodge, 1-3pm
- The Royal British Legion Pop-In, 100-101 Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XF: Are you a veteran with a caring role or do you care for a veteran? Pop along for a cream tea from 1-3pm. An Independent Living Advisor will be there to discuss how The Royal British Legion supports veterans to stay independent in their homes and communities.
Saturday 16 June
- Seaford Driftwood Garden: Coast magazine described Driftwood as “A coastal garden full of innovative planting and original artworks serving delicious tea and cake”. Entrance to the garden for this special afternoon will be £3. Open 1pm – 5pm at 4 Marine Drive, Seaford, BN25 2RS.
- Headway House, Newick, BN8 4QX: Headway is hosting a Carers Pampering Morning, 9.30am – 1pm with registered complimentary therapists. Booking required. Contact: 01825 724323.
After Carers Week:
Tuesday 26 June
- Hillrise, Church Hill, Newhaven BN9 9HH: Meet ICE Project, 10am-1pm
Holding an event?
We can help you with resources. Speak to us and we will see how we can support you. If you have an event you would like us to promote let us know. Let’s show how together we can ensure Carers Week 2018 in East Sussex is the best yet!
If you are in Hastings or St. Leonard's before the end of July, please go along to the free public exhibition 'Seeing Carers: a carers photography project' along the outpatients corridor of the...
Men’s Health Week 13th-19th June 2022 For Men's Health Week our Serious Mental Illness Carers Project Team, James and Richard, write on where male carers can receive support locally. Men's Health...
Guest post by Lily Meyers Lily Meyers is a Freelance writer who primarily focuses on lifestyle and homecare writing. According to Carers UK, there are over 6.5 million people who are unpaid carers...