1. What is a Carer's Assessment, how do I get one, and what happens after my assessment?

    If you are looking after someone who can’t manage without your help and they live in East Sussex you can approach Adult Social Care (ASC) and ask for a Carer's Assessment. You could be caring for someone in your family, a partner, a friend or neighbour.

    If you are sharing caring responsibilities with another person, including a child under 18 you can each have a Carer’s Assessment.

    You can have an assessment even if the person you care for does not meet the eligibility criteria, or has chosen not to seek support from ASC.

    You can do the self-assessment online on the East Sussex County Council website, or telephone Health and Social Care Connect to ask for an assessment.  If a worker from ASC comes to the home of the person you care to carry out a face-to-face assessment you can ask them to look at your needs as a joint assessment.

    If you want support to complete the online assessment, Care for the Carers can help either face-to-face or over the phone. Contact our Gateway service to arrange an appointment - call us on 01323 738390, email us on [email protected], or text us on 07860 077300.

    The Carer's Assessment may be completed over the phone, online or face-to-face. Please contact Health and Social Care Connect by phoning 0345 60 80 191 (calls are charged at your phone company’s local rate and may be recorded.)

    Textphone: 01323 466630, email [email protected], or text message 07797 878111.

    Visit the East Sussex County Council (ESCC) website to complete a self-assessment online.

    For more information about what's involved in a Carer's Assessment, you can download the fact sheet here.
  2. How do I let my GP know I’m a carer?

    Being a carer can often affect your health. You can let the reception staff at your surgery know that you are a carer and ask if this could be registered on your medical record. You may wish to enquire if they have any carer’s support services for you to make use of.

    If you prefer, you could help them by filling in a Care for the Carers GP Registration form. Return this to your GP Surgery or send it to us and we can let your GP know that you’re a carer.

    Contact us or download our GP Form.

  3. How do I get a wheelchair assessment for the person I look after?

    Wheelchair assessments can be accessed through the health professionals involved with the person you care for - their GP, district nurse, occupational therapist or physiotherapist.

    Wheelchairs and other mobility equipment are also available for hire through the British Red Cross.

  4. How can I stay in work and care for someone?

  5. Carers now have more statutory rights at work that help them manage their caring and employment needs. Employers may also be able to offer additional flexibility through their own policies and procedures to help you cope with the pressures of work and care.

    Employers for Carers, run by Carers UK, has further information for employers to consider.

  6. How do I know I’m receiving all the financial support I’m entitled to?

    Carers may be entitled to a Carers Allowance and could also be entitled to other benefits from the government too. The benefits system is complicated. Claiming can be difficult and time-consuming. If you are not sure whether you can claim, or need advice and support to claim benefits you can get support from the following organisations:

    • East Sussex Welfare Benefits project (for people living within the Hastings and Rother Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) area or the Eastbourne, Hailsham and Seaford CCG area) 0333 344 0681 / [email protected]
    • Lewes Citizens Advice Bureau (for people living within the High Weald, Lewes and Havens CCG area) 03444 111 444 / [email protected]

    If you are unsure about which CCG area you live within, you can either use this map or the accompanying postcode search to check which is your CCG.

  7. How do I get a break from my caring role?

    Several organisations offer professional respite services or special holidays to enhance carers’ quality of life by providing support, enabling you to attend appointments, or take a short but well-earned break. 

    • Set up the Flexi-TeleCheck service to get short-term remote support.
    • Activate your CRESS plan. For more details see here.
    • Contact Association of Carers about their Befriending with Respite service, or contact us and we can refer you.
    • Contact British Red Cross Support at Home service  or contact us and we can refer you.
    • Carers Breaks & Engagement Team (CBET) provide flexible and responsive short term interventions to enable carers supporting someone with dementia to access their community to reduce social isolation and/or support carers to take a break from their caring responsibilities. Contact us to discuss a referral to CBET.
    • Take part in one of the many carers groups, activities, or training taking place locally. 
    • Access grants to pay for respite to help you to attend health appointments or training to support your caring role. Contact our Gateway service to find out about grants or other support available.
    • Find out about Grants for Respite
  8. How can I meet other carers in a similar situation?

    Care for the Carers and our partners run a range of activities, groups, and forums for carers. These give you the opportunity to meet together socially, take a break, and spend time with other carers and our dedicated support workers.

    For more information, check out the Care for the Carers groups and events pages or contact our Gateway service

  9. How can I find out about different types of transport?

    There are a variety of different transport schemes in East Sussex including various community transport providers and the British Red Cross Transport Service.

    For more information on what community transport providers are in your area visit the East Sussex County Council website.  Alternatively you can call their Passenger Transport team on 0345 60 80 190.

    The British Red Cross offers transport support for medical appointments and essential daily needs.  You can find out more at http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Independent-living/Transport-support or call them on 01435 864351, or contact us and we can refer you.

    Traveline provides information on public transport services, including accessibility information – visit www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk   

    To apply for a blue badge go to www.eastsussex.gov.uk/socialcare/transport/blue-badge-guide/apply/
  10. How do I make sure I stay healthy?

    Staying healthy is important for carers, but we often hear from carers that they don’t feel they have time to look after their own health. Try to take some time out for yourself, and think of your own health as important. The following organisations provide information to help you look after yourself, which in turn will help you to stay well to support the person you care for.

    • AgeUK provides information on health and wellbeing for older people
    • Warm East Sussex Partnership provides the Winter Home Check Service in East Sussex
    • NHS Direct 24 Helpline on 111 (or your local GP) for information about flu jabs– free if you recieve carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill. 
    • NHS Choices for information on a range of health issues 
    • One You East Sussex supports you to make simple changes towards a longer and happier life. 
    • Details of local health walks can be found on the ESCC website
    • If you have no care provision or pay for care yourself, Care for the Carers can support you to claim a grant for respite services in order that you can attend your healthcare appointments. Check out our Grants for Respite page for more information.
  11. How do I find out what I need to know about carers’ issues?

    Care for the Carers is here to help you find out everything that you need to know about caring.  We provide a wide range of services including our Gateway service, support and advice appointments, carers groups, training, counselling, and events. Click on the links to find out more or get in touch - call us on 01323 738390, email us on [email protected], or text us on 07860 077300.